Aunt Cindy’s Apple Pie
Ever since I was little, my Aunt Cindy and Uncle Frank would have a party. Â My family would get there a little early and my sister and I would help make the apple cobbler with my Aunt Cindy. Â I would always look forward to this day every year.
This year for Thanksgiving I decided to make it by myself for my family! Â Instead of making an apple cobbler, I decided to convert it into an apple pie simply by adding a store bought crust to the bottom.
This apple cobbler recipe feeds as many as 20 people. Â I didn’t want that much deliciousness in my house, so I cut the recipe in half, which gave me just enough left overs to have the next morning!
Before this went into the oven. Â The crumble topping gives the pie a nice crunch!
**NOTE If you are hand peeling and cutting the apples (Like I did) Make sure to cut a lemon in half and squeeze the lemon juice onto the apple slices so the don’t turn brown!
- FOR THE FILLING
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- 4 lb (after peeling/corning) Granny Smith apples (about 17 small-sliced into 8 wedges or about 12 large, sliced into 16 wedges)
- 1Â½ cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Â½ teaspoon nutmeg
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 1Â½ cups flour
- 1Â½ cups oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 sticks chilled unsalted butter
- Store bought Pie Crust
- For the filling, mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg together and pour over apples. Let apples sit about 30 minutes while you make the topping. Note: Ok to make the topping the night before.
- For the topping, mix dry ingredients together. Cut the butter in pieces and use fingers to blend into the dry mixture. You can also use a pastry cutter.
- Pour apples into 5quart baker. Pour topping over apples and bake.
- Convection oven- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Check after about 20 minutes. May need to cover with foil to prevent burning
- Regular oven- Bake at 350 for about 60 minutes. Check after about 30 minutes.
The finished product! Both the crust and the topping are a nice golden brown.
I hope you enjoy making this as much as I did! Your family is sure to be impressed!